Prerequisite: Level I - Thermographic Applications
The Mechanical Equipment specialty course is designed to give practicing thermographers an in-depth understanding of applied thermography focused on a wide variety of in-plant mechanical systems, including motors, rotating equipment, fluid systems, storage systems, high temperature applications and mobile equipment. Review of case studies, interpretation of thermal images and root-cause failure discussions form the basis of this class.
- Rotating equipment (bearings, couplings, belts, gears, and brakes)
- Prime movers (electric motors, generators, gas engines, and turbines)
- Gas systems and components including pneumatic and vacuum systems
- Liquid systems (hydraulic systems, tank and silo levels, sludge detection)
- Energy and steam systems (heat exchangers, steam traps, condensers, heaters, and boilers)
- Refractory and insulation including kilns, process vessels, and tank cars
- Other systems including vehicles, robots, conveyors, crushers, and storage piles
Attendees will learn to better utilize their imaging equipment to perform qualitative surveys of mechanical systems according to industry and international inspection standards.